Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mawqif of The Sea

He stopped me at the Sea, where ships sunk & planks floated, then sunk. He said:

“He who sails isn’t saved."
“He risk himself-- whoso throws his body in & doesn’t sail."
“He ruins, whoso sails & doesn’t risk himself."
“In risk there is a shred of rescue.”

Then came the wave, raising up what lay beneath & swelling on the shore.

He said: "The surface of the sea is an unreachable glow, its depth an impossible darkness; between the two are untrustworthy fishes."

“Don’t sail the sea; I veil you by the instrument. Don’t throw yourself in it; I veil you by the act."

“The sea contains edges; which one will harbor you?"

“When you give yourself to the sea, & drown, you’re a creature of it."

“I mislead you, if I lead you to any but Me."

“If you ruin in any other than me, you belong in your ruins."

“This world is for him I’ve turned from it & whom I’ve turned it from; the next one is for him I’ve turned it to & whom I’ve turned to Me.”

al Niffari

***
موقف البحر
أوقفني في البحر فرأيت المراكب تغرق والألواح تسلم، ثم غرقت الألواح، وقال لي لا يسلم من ركب.
وقال لي خاطر من ألقى نفسه ولم يركب.
وقال لي هلك من ركب وما خاطر.
وقال لي في المخاطرة جزء من النجاة، وجاء الموج ورفع ما تحته وساح على الساحل.
وقال لي ظاهر البحر ضوء لا يبلغ، وقعرة ظلمه لا تمكن، وبينهما حيتان لا تستأمن.
وقال لي لا تركب البحر فأحجبك بالآلة، ولا تلق نفسك فيه فأحجبك به.
وقال لي في البحر حدود أيها يقلك.
وقال لي إذا وهبت نفسك للبحر فغرقت فيه كنت كدابة من دوابه.
وقال لي غششتك إن دللتك على سواي.
وقال لي إن هلكت في سواي كنت لما هلكت فيه.
وقال لي الدنيا لمن صرفته عنها وصرفتها عنه، والآخرة لمن أقبلت بها إليه وأقبلت به علي.
النفري