Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mawqif of His Reality

He stopped me at His reality & said to me:
"If I made my reality a sea, you’d cleave to the ship, and if, at my word, you left the ship, you’d cleave to the journey; if you surpassed the journey, you’d cleave to the shores; if you spurned the shores, you’d cleave to the designations: reality & sea. These designations call forth, but the ear gets lost in their terms. So, you couldn’t arrive at my reality or journey on the sea."

I saw, then, the shimmering as shade & the water as solid rock.

He said: "To him who doesn’t see this, my reality’s no duty; to him who does, my reality is. He whose bound to my reality -- if he speaks to any other than me – is an infidel. All limitation is a veil I don’t appear behind; there’s nothing in the vision of my reality, but reality."

I saw all that’s immutable. He granted me the wisdom of mutability, and I saw all created things.

He said: "What’s created doesn’t last, no exceptions." He divided the vision into parts: optic and mental, & said "Behold, the whole of creation, moving and speaking."

He said: "how did you see things before My reality?" I said "moving and speaking." He said: "Beware the difference, so as to not stray." Then he turned me from his reality, and I saw nothing. He said: "You saw everything and it all obeyed you. Your vision of everything is a trial, just as everything’s obedience to you." He turned me back from all of that & said:

"All of that I don’t regard & isn’t good to me."

al Niffari
from the Book of Mawaqifs

***

موقف حقه

أوقفني في حقه وقال لي لو جعلته بحراً تعلقت بالمركب فإن ذهبت عنه بإذهابي فبالسير فإن علوت عن السير فبالساحلين فإن طرحت الساحلين فبالتسمية حق وبحر وكل تسميتن تدعوان والسمع يتيه في لغتين فلا على حقي حصلت ولا على البحر سرت، فرأيت الشعاشع ظلمات والمياه حجراً صلداً.

وقال لي من لم ير هذا فما وجب عليه حقي ومن رآه فقد وجب عليه حقي ومن عليه فكلم سواي كفر والحد كله حجاب لا أظهر من ورائه وليس في رؤية حقي إلا رؤيته، فرأيت ما لا يتغير فأعطاني حكماً يتغير فرأيت كل شيء خلق.

وقال لي لا تستثن، فما هو بقي خلق وانقسمت الرؤية عينية وعلمية فإذا هو كله لا يتحرك ولا يتكلم.

وقال لي كيف رأيته من قبل رؤية حقي، فقلت يتحرك ويتكلم، فقال لي اعرف الفرق لئلا تتيه. وعرج بي عن حقه فلم أر شيئاً، فقال لي رأيت كل شيء وأطاعك كل شيء ورؤيتك كل شيء بلاء وطاعة كل شيء لك بلاء. وعرج بي عن ذلك كله.

وقال لي كله لا أنظر إليه ولا يصلح لي.

محمد بن عبد الجبار بن حسن النفري
من كتاب المواقف